<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Edifier du Jour-Matthew 7:21-23
21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'
This is a scary passage that can make you question your salvation. Does Jesus know me? Isn't he supposed to be omniscient? How can He not know me? A factoid from my junior-high Spanish might help. Spanish has two verbs for "to know," saber y conocer
The situation with regards to the correct use of saber and conocer can be summarized as follows: saber to know a fact, to know something thoroughly, to know how to do something conocer to be acquainted with a person, place, or thing
Lots of people can say that they are acquanited with Jesus. A little bit of exposure at church might let you know something about the historical figure of Jesus. However, that person only knows Jesus like he knows Julius Caesar. To move from conocer to saber requires a personal relationship, or at least a lot of intense study. Your Christmas-and-Easter churchgoer isn't going to sabe Jesus. Nor will Jesus sabe him. Jesus may conoce the C&E guy, but he won't really sabe him like the brother that he needs to be to inherit the Kingdom. Jesus is an is, not a was. You can know Him as more than just a historical figure, and pretty much have to if you want to avoid eternity's smoking section. You can't really sabe Julius Caesar, but you can sabe Jesus. ¿Tu sabes Jesus? [Update 7:10AM-The verse reads even rougher in Spanish The "I never knew you" part reads "Nunca os conocí." Jesus isn't even acquainted with them.]

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?