<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Edifier du Jour-Jeremiah 18:1-6
1 The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD saying, 2 "Arise and go down to the potter's house, and there I will announce My words to you." 3 Then I went down to the potter's house, and there he was, making something on the wheel. 4 But the vessel that he was making of clay was spoiled in the hand of the potter; so he remade it into another vessel, as it pleased the potter to make. 5 Then the word of the LORD came to me saying, 6 "Can I not, O house of Israel, deal with you as this potter does?" declares the LORD. "Behold, like the clay in the potter's hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel.
I was reading this passage and The Potter's Hand started going in my mind. He is constantly remaking us. I started to think about the metaphor of the ceramics process and how it applies to the spiritual life. We're only malleable if we're somewhat wet. That moisture comes from the Holy Spirit; if we lack a spiritual lubricant, our clay doesn't want to move out of it's current position. Jesus offered the woman at the well living water; for the spiritual animal, it supplies life, but for the spiritual claymation-character-in-the-making, it gives the ability to adjust yourself easily to the Potter's wishes. The Potter can use dry clay, but he has to break it up and remoisten it; that process isn't easy, so we as the clay had better get wet. To turn soft clay into a hard pot or some other piece of kitchenware, it's often fired in a kiln (archeology buffs can correct me, but I'm thinking they did that in the BC as well). We often have to go through fire in order to burn off impurities and to give a holy glaze to us (on some days, we all have that glazed-over look). That's not easy either, but God uses trials to burn off our impurities and draw us closer to him.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?