<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 24, 2003

Edifier du Jour-1 John 4:15-18
15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.
Eileen wasn't doing well yesterday; she's been struggling with a lack of fellowship/friendship/prayer partners (other than me, but she needs more) as well as fears about going back into teaching and fears of losing her grandma, who hasn't been doing well as of late. Saturday, being a day off, gave her time to dwell upon those fears, and by dinnertime, we were really needing some prayer reinforcement. We normally don't head over to Lakeland for the Saturday evening prayer meeting, but I knew that I needed help praying her through this. We wound up having one of the most potent prayer meetings I've ever seen. It went for over three hours with a dozen or so of the core of the church. Two of those three hours were in impromptu praise, some on CD chosen by Pastor Dave and Doug, the assistant worship leader, some lead by the Doug on guitar. People wound up doing a lot of individual praying during that stretch, or other forms of impromptu worship that 'twern't decent and in order. During one ad-libbed chorus of Doug, I was in prayer, rather depressed about my inability to help Eileen, on the floor, face-up, about where the pulpit lectern would be on Sunday morning. The spot lights on the ceiling somehow reminded me of the lights in a operating theater and was praying for heart surgery, but not they type the Cleveland Clinic specializes in. Shortly thereafter, with my spirit improved, I had felt led to accompany Doug on the bongos during his improv praise. Mind you, I've never played the bongos (or any other sort of drums) in my life beyond a few random smashes we've all likely done passing a drum set as a youth. However, after a little trial and error (not much error, though), I was laying down a darn-good rhythm pattern to Doug's tune. God kept moving once the music stopped. Eileen and I got prayed over, and her continence improved dramatically. If she came in at a 8.7 on the depressometer, she left a 2.3; not perfectly cured, but back to a controllable level of melancholy. The verse above was quoted. The love we had last night wasn't quite perfect, but it was about as close as you can get, and it drove out a large chunk of fear in her and in me. I was prayed over as well. A number of those things struck home (1) Becoming less of a boy and more of a man. Despite being 42, I still feel like a pre-teen much of the time. The word Bar Mitzvah came to Pastor Dave; time for me to claim my place as a adult warrior for God. (2) Taking the head knowledge that I have and start to transfer it to my heart and start acting on it. (3) One of the elders during my prayer-soaking had the song The Impossible Dream going through his head in regards to me. Like Don Quixote, we're seen as fools on a fool's errand, often doing things that the word thinks can't be done. I need to keep being that fool for Christ. (4) People keep saying that I have a "good heart." It's a tender one, easily wounded, but one that is striving after God in my own selfish, self-centered way. Both Eileen and I came out of last nights meeting changed, hopefully in ways that will stick in the weeks and months to come. Pray that it be so.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?