<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Praying Against Your Enemies-part 2-Joshua Claybourn weighed in on yesterday's post with this comment
Show me where Robertson prayed for their illness. I read the transcript and all I saw was that he prayed the Justices' would take their current illnesses as reason to step down. That's hardly praying for bad things to happen to them.
Good point, Josh. Let's look at the transcript from the CBN site; here's what I think is the contentious passage
Would you join with me and many others in crying out to our Lord to change the Court? If we fast and pray and earnestly seek God’s face, then He will hear our prayer and give us relief. One justice is 83 years old, another has cancer, and another has a heart condition. Would it not be possible for God to put it in the minds of these three judges that the time has come to retire? With their retirement and the appointment of conservative judges, a massive change in federal jurisprudence can take place.
No, unlike Dr. Malveaux, he isn't directly wishing anyone ill. However, Supreme Court justices tend to stay on the court until their health makes it necessary to step down. If he's merely looking for God to change hearts, why not ask God to get younger liberal justices like Souter or Breyer to retire, or better yet, to get them to have a less-liberal view of the Constitution? My implication of what Robertson was praying for was for their health to deteriorate enough so that they'd want to retire. It may not have been intended, but that's how I read it. There a violent, vengeful part of my spirit that would like a Culture Jihad. However, it's not a part of me that I like and one I try to keep from controlling me. I want to love my enemies, not wish them ill, and Robertson's snarky tone plays too well to my inner jihadist.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?