<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 21, 2003

Edifier du Jour-1 Corinthians 14:12-19
12 So also you, since you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek to abound for the edification of the church. 13 Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also. 16 Otherwise if you bless in the spirit only, how will the one who fills the place of the ungifted say the "Amen" at your giving of thanks, since he does not know what you are saying? 17 For you are giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not edified. 18 I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all; 19 however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.
We didn't have any big tongue-talking today at church, but we did have a serious move of the Spirit; the music was flowing with ad-libbed lyrics and melodies. Pastor Dave scrapped the normal routine of five-songs, pass-the-hat, sermon and prayer/ministry time to have an extended prayer session prior to the sermon, first for home group leaders, then for the teens heading off on a mission trip this week, then for everyone else. It was very good, but it happened to freak out a young lady who had happened to come to the church for the first time. Emily was from a lapsed Catholic family who hadn't taken her to church since she was five; if I take her story at face value, this was her first trip to church since. This kind of ad-hoc service, that threw what little liturgical pattern a Vineyard church has out the window, was hard for Emily to get her mind around. The service was very edifying for people who are at home in a charismatic environment, but wasn't as approachable to the novice. Emily could sense the power, but went over to Eileen, who was manning the resource room (Library/book and music store) after church to figure out what the heck she stumbled into. This doesn't just apply to charismatic stuff; it can easily apply to insider discussions of theological minutia as well. Make sure the Emilies that show up can follow and be edified by what we're up to in church.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?