<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, June 01, 2003

Edifier du Jour-Philippians 1:18-21
18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice, 19 for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, 20 according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
One of the things that hit me about much of the Presbyterian crowd here in Richmond is the lack of expectation and boldness when compaired to their more evangelical brothers. Their God seems to be more distant and less a player in their lives. There is a faith, but it is of a less-immenent God; they would be more comfortable than I with the old Bette Midler lyric-"God is watching us from a distance." Given the more deistic nature of the mainliner's God, worship seems to be restrained, for God isn't expected to do much. The transformative power of God is thus downplayed, turning their vision to psychology or government programs for help with worldly problems. However, God is more hands-on and more immenent than that. He can change lives. He does change lives, if given a chance. With the low expections of God brings about a low expectations of man. There is a pessimism there that a touch from the Holy Spirit could help if they knew to seek it. Instead of dwelling on our collective sins, we can begin to overcome them with God's help. A hands-on God can do more healing that group therapy ever can, but that requires thinking in a supernatural manner, one that isn't easy to do.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?