<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 30, 2003

Edifier du Jour-Jeremiah 1:4-9
4 Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations." 6 Then I said, "Alas, Lord GOD! Behold, I do not know how to speak, Because I am a youth." 7 But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am a youth,' Because everywhere I send you, you shall go, And all that I command you, you shall speak. 8 "Do not be afraid of them, For I am with you to deliver you," declares the LORD. 9 Then the LORD stretched out His hand and touched my mouth, and the LORD said to me, "Behold, I have put My words in your mouth.
God didn't choose a bunch of Jesse Jacksons to deliver his word, people who had eloquent delivery and a commanding presence. Both Moses and Jeremiah here had to be talked into being God's spokesman. I'm not sure the proper response to being tapped by God to be His messenger isn't "You talkin' to me?" People who are too eager to be God's PR guy are either very sold out for God or (more likely) very power-hungry and/or egotistical. However, the humble person is a good messenger, for God's going to supply the words. The Holy Spirit will deliver the goods when eloquence is needed. God knows us from day one (note the Isaiahesque knowing-us-in-the-womb phrase; good pro-life fodder) and won't give us more that we can handle.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?