<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, June 21, 2003

Edifier du Jour-Colossians 4:5-6(NASB)
5 Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. 6 Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.
That's something that I struggle to do, to be wise and graceful in my speech. My comic side can sometimes get in the way of looking wise, as I did Thursday night. When citing the result of 1.1-1, I broke into "point nine-oh, nine-oh, nine-oh shezbat," doing an improptu Mork shtick; thankfully, the non-traditional class was old enough to get it. When discussing the accuracy of cash flow projections in capital budgeting, the acronym SWAG, for Scientific Wild-A--ed Guess, was cited by a student, and I struggled to bowlderize the acronym, once breaking down and using the origional. That might not be becoming of a college professor at a Chrisitan college. However, the prayers before class, the prayers for sick students and discussing the conflicts between moral and fiduciary duties as a Christian businessperson start to add some salt to the mix. My humor tends to allow for the serious part of my message, whether it be getting time-value-of-money concepts or moral precepts, to get through. As I look at dealing with people I encounter, I seem to get better reactions and acceptance of what I'm presenting when I'm a bit humorous and down-to-earth rather than stuffy and "professional." That might be what Paul's getting act in the end of verse 6, knowing how you should respond to each person. Changing your approach to presenting the Gospel based on the situation at hand is proper. However, there are limits as to how you can be "all things to all people" and finding that line in a fallen culture is tricky.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?