<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 06, 2003

Edifier du Jour-Colossians 3:15-17
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
I was driving back from Melbourne this evening (I still haven't gotten to bed yet) and wound up channel-surfing into the Delilah show, a warm-fuzzy contemporary music show with an apparently evangelical lady host; it's one that often winds up sticking on my dial when I'm coming home from a night class. The thing that stuck with me this evening was a comment of hers about having "an attitude of gratitude." We don't give God the proper thanks. When's the last time you sung with thankfulness? It might not have been that long ago, but I know that such thankfulness only shows up every so often in my worship. One old praise song that I don't hear much anymore is Give Thanks, which will often bring me to tears; I remember ace pianist Jeff Nordine (sp?) playing it as a prelude to my sister's wedding and had the brother (not the mother) of the bride reaching for the Kleenex in the front row. Here's the chorus
Give thanks with a grateful heart, Give thanks to the Holy One, Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, his Son.
I long to have that level of thankfulness on a hourly basis rather than when a good praise song or a well-spoken word comes along. Most of the time I wind up taking God for granted. Do we let the Word of God richly dwell in us? Not just dwell, but richly dwell? Do we give the Gospel a good bedroom and let it have the run of the house, or do we stick it away in cold storage to be brought out every so often? For me, it's far from having the run of the house, even though it may have a nice den and guest bedroom at its disposal. Do we do everything in God's name? Not the first hour of my class tonight. I try to open up each class with prayer, but I only remembered to pray during the first break and opened up the second hour with a prayer. We may do some things with God in mind, but fewer than we should. Most of us are grateful to God. We're just lousy at showing it. Don't think you're praising him too much, for He'll like to hear it anyway. I know Eileen loves me, and I know she knows I know she loves me; however, she still says so on a regular basis during the day, more than I tell her that I love her. Maybe she has a better attitude of gratitude than I, don't ya think?

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?