<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 24, 2003

Edifier du Jour-Titus 1:5-9(NASB)
5 For this reason I left you in Crete, that you would set in order what remains and appoint elders in every city as I directed you, 6 namely, if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion. 7 For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain, 8 but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, 9 holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict.
That's an interesting check list for us all to see where we stand in coming close to what God wants from a good leader. For the gals and single guys, ignore verse six for a moment; as a childless husband, I'm with you at the moment. How's your temper? Mine's not that good. I'm still prone to lose it, but I'm getting better, learning to walk away before I say or do anything stoopid. How's your self-control? Mind's not that great around food. I'm planning to get on a regular exercise program when I get back from our Richmond-Spartanburg trip, knowing that the spare tire I'm carrying around isn't good for me or my long-term ability to communicate the Gospel. Do you love what's good?-Do you cheer when the bad guys meet an untimely demise? Do you cheer when your kick-coverage maniac delivers a decleater ("OOOOHH! He'll feel that tomorrow.")? Do you root for Yogi to steal another pick-a-nick bask-kit? I'm guilty as charged on all three counts. We often wind up in this modern culture praising the bandit and having an unhealthy level of schadenfreude. How well do you hold fast to the Word?-Do you tweak the Gospel in order to be less confrontational and more PC? It's hard to stick to some parts of scripture and be polite in the modern world. However, we're not called to be PC, we're called to serve God. That isn't easy at times.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?