<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 25, 2003

Edifier du Jour-1 Corinthians 2:1-5(NASB)
1 And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, 4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.
I spend most of yesterday in bed sleeping off a sinus infection; I seem to be over it and am looking forward to getting back in the classroom today. However, while I was resting yesterday, I got a comforting feeling that I sometimes get when I'm really sick; it's a kind of empowering weakness that allows you to unconditionally rest and allow the duties of the world to go away. This perverse thought went through my brain-
Generic acetaminophen- $3.50 for 500 Generic antihistamines- $2.25 for 48 Not having to teach your 12:35 Investments class-priceless
Not that I'm a slacker, but I have been struggling to get a lot of things over to my Investments class, especially when it comes to practical investment research in the Web era; there's a big part of me that has to fight off the shame of being a Ph.D. in Finance who hasn't done any investing due to low student-level income most of my life and paying off debts. That feeling of empowering weakness from the upper respiratory crud (and some TLC from Eileen) allowed me to pray through that bad, nagging guilt about my lack of practical investment knowledge. That same empowering weakness needs to be applied to our witnessing. Remember that you're not going to win anyone over to Christ on your own. Ain't gonna happen. You and the Holy Spirit have a good shot. The less cocky we are in our knowledge and wisdom, the more the Holy Spirit can use us. The weaker we are, the more the Holy Spirit can use us. That's hard for most of us to hear, for the denizens of the Blogosphere are as a group far better educated and intellectually sharper than the average bear. Don't be afraid to be weak of to feel stoopid in the spiritual realm, for that's when we can be the most effective, for we have no choice but to rest in the Holy Spirit's abilities. It's easier for Him to carry us when we give into that empowering weakness we're not flailing away on our own.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?