<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 24, 2003

Time For Reflection-I'm in a bit of a refective mood this morning. I found out this morning that the husband of one of my MBA students died of a heart attack over the weekend. I don't know the student that well, but I can imagine what it would be like to lose Eileen, or (more likely) what Eileen would go through if she lost me. It puts discussion of cubic supply functions on the back burner. I'm driving up to Dade City north of Lakeland ( a good hour-and-a-half one way) for one of the funeral home visitations tomorrow afternoon, then getting back to Lake Wales for class. It's not something I'm looking forward to, for the prepping I was going to do tomorrow afternoon will have to be done tonight, but that's something that I felt led to do, to be there for a student of mine who could use an extra friend. I'm a professor, and that should mean more than just a instructor, but someone who professes a faith in Jesus and shows compassion to the poor and the widdows (well, at least one widdow). On a more political note, I got scolded by Bene Diction for my post on Catholic diplomacy; “Can Christians of all stripes, Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox, refrain from discussing war with bravado— and approach this topic with reluctance, weeping, and with prayer and fasting?” Am I reluctant for us to go to war? Yes, but not enough to want to stop it. There's a difference between careful discernement and indicision. If you've intelegently and prayfully thought through the issues, you can confidently come to a conclusion. If that confidence that we're heading in the right direction comes across as bravado, it was not indended as such. Bravado often implies a false sense of confidence that ain't me. Am I weeping for this war? Yes. There will be lives lost in the conflict to come. However, there is likely to be even more lives lost if we don't act shortly, both literally and spiritually. I think this coming war will open up the Arab world to the Gospel, something that will be a collateral benefit to the conflict. Am I praying and fasting for the war? I am now. I just ate lunch and will go on a 48-hour fast, praying at each would-be meal time (and more) for God's will to be done in Iraq; a peaceful regime change if possible, a quick and clean and low-casualty war if not.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?