<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, February 01, 2003

Edifier du Jour-Psalm 23:1-6(NASB)
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. 3 He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
I've seen take-offs of verse 4 which morph it into "... I will fear no evil, for I'm the toughest [expletive deleted] in the valley." That might be true for some people, but for the rest of us who are either not as tough nor desirous of perfecting our G. Gordon Liddy imitation, we know that we'll need some backup in this life. The rod and staff are used to both guide the sheep, who are stoopid to seven decimal places, and to fend off attackers. We're likely to go off the path God wants us on without some nudging (and dragging, to be honest) by that staff. The other wonderful thing about God that comes to mind as I look at that part of the Psalm is His generosity. He does prepare a table for us while our enemies look on. That might bring on the desire to give the razzberry to our foes, but that open generosity also serves as an advertisement to come over from the dark side.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?