<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Edifier du Jour-Proverbs 13:4(NASB)
The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, But the soul of the diligent is made fat.
I'm thinking back to times were I've been spiritually lazy, where I've been disinterested in seeking God. If you're not looking for Him, you're a lot less likely to find Him. I can look back to the spiritually dry times in my life; it winds up becoming a viscous cycle, where you feel too spiritually slovenly to set foot in a church. The place where the sermon is trying to get you to go seems out of reach; the level of devotion the preacher is showing is so far above where you're at, you despair and don't even try. You're too guilty to crack open the Bible and have your sluggard state pointed out to you. It takes time to rehydrate from that spiritual dryness (yes, I'm mixing metaphors-the passage is using food, not water) and to gradually get back the desire to seek God. For me, down-to-earth pastors who show they humanity were helpful, as were fellow believers who are openly imperfect yet striving to drink from that eternal water. The trick for me is get past the discouraged worker phase, where you want to draw closer God but have given up trying; being in an encouraging crowd that helps you make slow steps back Getting into the Word on a daily basis is helpful; one of the reasons I've been doing these morning postings is to keep myself in the Bible every morning (or the occasional afternoon). Getting into a good church and a good small-group of some sort border on necessities. When you're short on water, other people can pull out their canteens and give you a slug of it.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?