<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 25, 2003

Edifier du Jour-Matthew 6:16-21(NASB)
16 "Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 17 "But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face 18 so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. 19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; 21 for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
The only people that know I'm fasting are the readers of this blog and Eileen; hard not to have her figure that out when there's only one plate on spaghetti on the table. The blog, at least as I seem to use it, is part diary and part op-ed page. However, to the extent that this is public, I'm running afoul of verse 16. I'm not neglecting my appearance nor putting on a gloomy face, but I wonder if my motives were pure in starting this; part of me was saying "Bene, you don't think the chickenhawks are devout? I'll show you devout." However, there was a larger part of me that realizes that my prayer life needed a boost and that fasting hasn't been part of my routine. None of my colleagues at Warner know about this unless they've been reading my blog and if I'm to keep it biblical, it's going to stay that way. The reward in fasting is drawing closer to God, not showing off.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?