Wednesday, November 06, 2002
Battleground 2004-Senate-After all the punditry fun predicting the 2002 Senate, here's a jump start on 2004. There are 34 seats up, Democrats currently hold 19.
Democratic Vital 5
(1) Illinois. Of the incumbents, I'd have to pick Fitzgerald as the lone underdog. A good campaign by a garden-variety Democrat could win back this seat. I don't know who would step to the plate, but new state AG Lisa Madigan might be a possibility.
(2) Arizona. McCain's retirement will open up this seat. Arizona leans Republican, but a good Democrat could win this seat. The Republicans will have an interesting dilemma in picking a replacement. Jim Kolbe would be a slam-dunk winner if he could get the nomination, but are Republican primary voters ready for the first openly gay senator? If not, J.D. Hayworth or incoming Secretary of State Jan Brewer might be a good choice. The Democrats could counter with new AG Terry Goddard.
(3) New Hampshire. Judd Gregg versus Jeanne Shaheen could be a death-cager.
(4) Alaska. Frank Murkowski will get to pick his successor after getting elected governor yesterday. Outgoing governor Tony Knowles might be a possibility for the Democrats.
(5) Colorado. They always save an extra share of bile for defectors, and the Democrats would love to dispatch Campbell. Ain't likely to happen, but the right candidate could pull an upset; I'd give them a slugger's chance.
Republican Vital 5
(1) South Dakota-Assuming Thune loses, a Thune-Daschle race would be a death-cager. Governor and congressman-elect Bill Janklow would be a likely replacement if Thune wins in a recount.
(2) South Carolina-Fritz might have outstayed his welcome. I don't know who would be the replacement, but a good basic conservative, maybe LG Andre (the Gamecock Pundit) Bauer, could give one of the most Republican states two GOP senators.
(3) North Dakota-A very competitive state for Republicans; Dorgan could be beaten by a solid Republican campaign
(4) California-Republicans would love to start a Boxer rebellion. Finding the right person to send her packing would be the trick. Arnold's eyeing the Governor's mansion, so we'd have to look elsewhere, either to an electable moderate like Doug Ose or to some self-funded businessman who could pull off an upset. Paging Ron Unz.
(5) New York-While they might have a better shot at sending the Mom in Tennis Shoes back to Washington State, they'd love to get rid of SchemerSchumer. Rudy's marital woes will be far enough behind him where he would win this one.
I'd expect the Republicans to pick up two seats in 2004; my odds added up to 16.95 seats, a gain of just under 2. While no Democrat looks to be an underdog at this point, two or three of them should lose next year.
1 Thanks to Illinigirl for catching the braino-it's Fitzgerald, not Fitzpatrick.
|State||15 Republicans||Chance of Going Republican||Alabama||Richard Shelby||1||Alaska||Frank Murkoswki to name his successor||0.8||Arizona||John McCain||0.7||Colorado||Ben Nighthorse Campbell||0.9||Idaho||Mike Crapo||1||Illinois||Peter FItzgerald1||0.35||Iowa||Charles Grassley||0.9||Kansas||Sam Brownback||1||Kentucky||Jim Bunning||0.9||New Hampshire||Judd Gregg||0.8||Ohio||George Voinovich||1||Oklahoma||Don Nickels||1||Pennsylvania||Arlan Specter||1||Texas||Kay Bailey Hutchenson||1||Utah||Robert Bennett||0.9||State||19 Democrats||Chance of Going Republican||Arkansas||Blanche Lincoln||0.25||California||Barbara Boxer||0.35||Connecticut||Chris Dodd||0.1||Florida||Bob Graham||0.15||Georgia||Zell Miller||0||Hawaii||Daniel Inouyye||0||Indiana||Evan Bayh||0||Louisiana||John Breaux||0||Maryland||Barbara Mikulski||0.2||Nevada||Harry Reid||0.3||New York||Chuch Schumer||0.3||North Dakota||Byron Dorgan||0.4||Oregon||Ron Wyden||0.1||South Carolina||Ernest Hollings||0.4||South Dakota||Tom Daschle||0.5||Vermont||Patrick Leahy||0.1||Washington||Patty Murray||0.35||West Virginia||Robert Byrd||0.05||Wisconsin||Russ Feingold||0.15|
I would gold für wow cultivate courage.buy wow gold “Nothing is so mild wow gold cheap and gentle as courage, nothing so cruel and pitiless as cowardice,” syas a wise author. We too often borrow trouble, and anticipate that may never appear.”wow gold kaufen The fear of ill exceeds the ill we fear.” Dangers will arise in any career, but presence of mind will often conquer the worst of them. Be prepared for any fate, and there is no harm to be freared. If I were a boy again, I would look on the cheerful side. life is very much like a mirror:sell wow gold if you smile upon it,maple mesos I smiles back upon you; but if you frown and look doubtful on it,cheap maplestory mesos you will get a similar look in return. Inner sunshine warms not only the heart of the owner,world of warcraft power leveling but of all that come in contact with it. “ who shuts love out ,in turn shall be shut out from love.” If I were a boy again, I would school myself to say no more often.billig wow gold I might cheap mesos write pages maple meso on the importance of learning very early in life to gain that point where a young boy can stand erect, and decline doing an unworthy act because it is unworthy.wow powerleveling If I were a boy again, I would demand of myself more courtesy towards my companions and friends,wow leveling and indeed towards strangers as well.Maple Story Account The smallest courtesies along the rough roads of life are wow powerleveln like the little birds that sing to us all winter long, and make that season of ice and snow more endurable. Finally,maple story powerleveling instead of trying hard to be happyPost a Comment