<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 26, 2002

Edifier du jour-2 Corinthians 7:8-10 (NASB)
8 For though I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it--for I see that that letter caused you sorrow, though only for a while-- 9 I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us. 10 For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.
We have a conscience for a reason-to get us to make a 180 when we are doing (or are about to do) the wrong thing. The sorrow that is supplied by the Holy Spirit helps us make that 180 as a negative reinforcement for our sins. There is also a devilish sorrow that can either try to brush off the conscience by a "I'm sorry (I was caught)" routine that doesn't lead to repentance or a pity party that replays the memories of your sin over and over again. The second person might well be repentant, but can't forgive themselves or believe that God has forgiven them. It takes discernment how to differentiate between the types of sorrow and how to minister to a person who recognizes that they've done the wrong thing.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?