<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 03, 2002

Edifier du jour-1 Corinthians 9:19-23(NASB)
19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. 23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.
While staying within the confines of the Gospel, we have the freedom to adjust how we present it. Some people might respond to a direct salvation appeal, others might require months of slow "friendship evangelism." Some will need to see Jesus in their world, so rock concerts and skateboard parks might reach people that won't show up to a standard Sunday service. While Paul talks about being all things to all men, that doesn't give us license to switch to a universalist theology in order to do so. We can't go up to a Hindu and say "All your gods are cool, but my God's even better" since that would be a lie. We can change the style of our outreach and change the emphasis of the message, but we need to stay true to what God has revealed. A focus on God's acceptance for the youth and of emotional healing for the abused will help, but the core of the Gospel, Jesus dying for our sins, needs to be there.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?