<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 23, 2002

Edifier du jour-Micah 6:6-8
6 With what shall I come to the LORD And bow myself before the God on high? Shall I come to Him with burnt offerings, With yearling calves? 7 Does the LORD take delight in thousands of rams, In ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall I present my firstborn for my rebellious acts, The fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? 8 He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?
Here's to you, you Blithering Idiot! After you mentioned that Monday, I had Steven Curtis Chapman's The Walk running through my head, since he uses verse 8 as a bridge in that song. This is Old Testament, folks, yet Micah seems to be pre-channeling Paul. It's not the first time in the OT that God asks the believer to give honest service to Him rather than real nice sacrifices. It's a checklist would looking at. Do we do justice? Do we go to bat for the people who are being treated unfairly? Not nearly as much as we should. Do we love kindness? Verbally, the cutting remark is more fun than the soothing one, yet we're called here to practice kindness. It's one of Paul's Fruit of the Spirit, yet one that is a stranger to many of our dialogues. Yeah, I've lectured on blog civility more than once. Add one to the list. Do we walk humbly with our God? Not just "are we humble?", but are we walking with God? I tend to head off on my own more often than I'd care to admit. I remember a few years back at a department store, seeing a mother with her pre-schooler boy on a leash. Yep, literally, attached to his arm so he couldn't run off on her. My mom could have used that when I was his age. God does have such a leash, it's called our conscience informed by the Holy Spirit. We need to listen to it more often.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?