<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 24, 2002

British Hit List-Many Bloggers have had fun with this BBC list of the 100 Greatest Britons of all time. Greg Hlatky has a good list of so-so inclusions and famous people in history slighted. I'm glad they don't have my namesake, Mr. "mad, bad and dangerous to know." This was done of 30,000 British people, so you should expect some historic illiteracy. However, I've got some nits to pick with Greg's take of Thomas Paine and William Wallace. Would an comparable American list include Robert E. Lee? I think so. The inclusion of Freddie Mercury, David Bowie, Boy George and Johnny Rotten are disturbing, but I could see Springsteen and Madonna or (get the barf bag) Brittany Spears cracking such an American list. David Beckham is the Michael Jordan of English soccer, and wouldn't His Airness get on an US list. Champion rower Steve Redgrave is an odd pick-I hadn't heard of him before this. J.K. Rowling is in, but Stephen King and Tom Clancy would have a shot at a US list. There are some people I don't get either, but have been part of their culture, such as comic Eric Morecambe and anti-immigrant politician Enoch Powell

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?