<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, July 21, 2002

Edifier du jour-1 Peter 3:3-4
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
I've been reading through 1 Peter this week, and would have read this anyway today, but this passage (actually verses 1-6) showed up today in the Meditations for the Newly Married book Eileen and I have been reading through as well. This is addressed to wives, but I think it can apply to us all. We're often obsessed with outward appearance to the detriment of our spirit, our inner selves. We need to develop that gentle and quiet spirit, even if we're guys, and learn to appreciate that inner beauty in others. I remember before meeting Eileen, I was making friends with a young lady in a Bible study class, who was smart, godly, funny and had one of the sweetest hearts on the planet but was, well, dumpy. "If she only looked a bit nicer...." It took me a year to get past her lack of good looks to the point of thinking "Maybe this could be the gal for me, this is someone I could be best friends with for the rest of my life," for God allowed me to see her inner beauty. I was on the cusp of a romantic interest in her on Valentines Day of 2001, but opted not to give her anything (I had almost scared off a female friend that way years ago). A few days after the 14th, I shared that with her, and she stated that she didn't see any more than friendship between up, but was flattered that I was seeing wife material in her. God must of blessed that desire to see that inner beauty. A few weeks later in March of last year, I met Eileen, who was as smart, as funny, as godly, had a even sweeter heart and was pretty to boot. I think God will honor that search for inner beauty, contrary to what the world may have us think.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?