<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, June 29, 2002

Foolishness to the Geeks- I was replying to a pro-young-earth email from Gary Petersen and he asked a very telling question-"If you're basing old earth thinking on science, and not Scripture, why?" I think it might be an intellectualism that wants to maintain control and then sets up "hyper-literalism" as a straw man to beat up. It seems foolish to my intellect to take Genesis 1 at face value, but then there are any number of things that we do as believers that are foolish to the outsiders. 1 Corinthians 1:22-23 comes to mind-"For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumbling block, and unto the Greeks foolishness." This is foolishness to the geek as well as the Greek, as modern intellectuals will not want to accept the supernatural, subservient nature of Christ without some way of asserting intellectual dominance. While I don't think God wants us to check our intellect at the door, I do need to have it take second fiddle to following God's word. This goes for my forays into free-will issues as well. I’m trying to take a fresh look at Calvinist thought and how I can better understand the mind of God via what He has to say in His Word.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?