<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 23, 2002

Edifier du jour-Ephesians 6:10-13
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
This was a verse that has come home to me in the last few days, as I'm preparing to start a new life in Florida next week. I know that, with God on the case, all the details will work out, but fears that would not go away still remained. At a time where I should have been happy to make a new start, I wasn't. It was, as Pastor Russ put it last night, a spirit of oppression; he mentioned verse 11 in his teaching. Once I was reminded what the fight was, I was able to call in reinforcements to get those spiritual gremlins off my back. I couldn't help but laughing last night once I realized why I had been depressed the last few days. I was picturing a pair of angles picking a dozen of Gizmo's offspring off my legs and back and chucking them back to Hades. The movie version will have one of the demon-gremlins doing a good double-take and a stream of blue language (un-linguistic grumbling in my PG version) as he's picked up and flung into the Abyss. Another let out a "uh-oh" as he's about to be disemboweled by one of the angel's swords. No, I can't really picture what spiritual warfare looks like. It exists nonetheless. We should avoid getting an unhealthy interest in the demonic, but to ignore supernatural activity, either from the miraculous or the demonic, isn't helpful either. We do have an Enemy, and he's out to make our life as unproductive and miserable as possible. Let's not give him the privilege.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?