<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 19, 2002

A Short History of the Chatty-Ring-Kevin James pointed out that I'm "the only person I know of who uses the phrase "pull my chatty-ring." He's right. I googled "pull my chatty-ring" and got a Googlewhack. Here's a site that used the phrase in the past tense. It comes from the talking dolls or Fisher-Price talking toys of the 60s and 70s. They would have a plastic cord that would activate the recordings inside, with an action a bit like starting a old lawn mower. At the end of the cord, instead of a handle, was a finger size ring to pull on. One popular model was Chatty Cathy(I think my sister Kathy had the blonde one), thus the Chatty Ring. Here's an older example of a chatty-ringed doll. In my family, the phrase got use when someone got a bit too loquacious-"Who pulled your chatty ring?"

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?