<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 14, 2002

SermonWatch- "The Kingdom of God may be within me, but the American Dream distracts me"- that was my serious sound bite gleaned from Pastor Milton's sermon yesterday. Don't let the little things get in the way of seeking God. The other point was from Philipians 3:13-14, "But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." He started with the carrot-on-a-stick metaphor for psyching farm animals into going forward, then he noted that carrots aren't that appetizing to him. He's a chunky guy who just had quadruple-bypass surgery in November and is now on a strict diet. Cue the PowerPoint slide, "Ding-Dongs on a stick", cue the prop of a fishing pole with a box of Ding-Dongs as bait. Pan to crowd howling with laughter, getting his point all too well. Chris Rice's next hit single-"Heaven is a Ding-Dong."

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?