<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 23, 2002

A e-mailer took me to task for not mentioning "what Jesus said" in regards to abortion in my post on abortion on Monday. The word abortion doesn't show up in the Bible, whether it be the NIV, Revised Standard, New American Standard or King James versions. The closest analog is in Exodus 21:22 -"If men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she has a miscarriage, yet there is no further injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman's husband may demand of him, and he shall pay as the judges decide." It doesn't say anything about intentional miscarriages. However, in many verses, include the one in the previous post, the unborn child is clearly God's creation and known by Him. Deuteronomy 30:19 gives a good general creed: "I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants." It faced with a decision of life and death, the believer should choose to maximize life. This is why the abortion rights crowd were hot and bothered when Florida signed off on optional "Choose Life" license plates with added proceeds going to anti-abortion crisis pregnancy centers. I base my decision on abortion on the concept that babies are "fearfully and wonderfully made" by God and shouldn't be killed to ease a few months of a mother's pain. Before becoming a Christian, I went through the mental process of Monday's post, weighing the value of the unborn life against the mother's suffering in pregnancy and came down upon the side of the baby. I didn't have a good understanding of God at the time (I'm still working on it), but I figured if I was going to answer to Him for one of those two, I'd rather answer for the mom's suffering than the baby's life. Bible study and the Holy Spirit's council have firmed up that belief, but it is weighing the two options and choosing life that is still my framework for opposing abortion.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?